The Q&A Archives: What Lighting is best?

Question: I have a small garden in which I have merigolds and another type of flower (cannot remember name). Anyway, all of them, expcept maybe three have died. I water them 3 times a week substantially and I don't know why they are dying. I need to know what is the best flower/plant for an area that only recieves sunlight maybe 1pm until sunset. Please Help!

Answer: Kristine,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

You may be overwating the flowers. If the soil doesn't drain very well the soil can get too soggy and the roots will start to die from lack of oxygen. For an area with part day sun some flowers to consider include begonias, wishbone flower, petunias, Salvia 'Mystic Spires', and plumbago to name a few.