The Q&A Archives: Hibiscus bush

Question: 5/27/07-sun-A neighbor gave me a Hibiscus (rosa-sinensis)bush as a gift, I pruned most of the bottom so to be able to see the soil. I put the pot in the closed tub, lightly shower the top and let it sit in it's own water for 30 minutes then put outside in the sun. Q: Should this be done daily or can it be weekly..? I know they like to be moist.

PS could a copy of your ans be sent to my email address please.?

Answer: This is a tropical hibiscus that does well in full direct sun and likes warm temperatures. Do not let it get colder than about 55 degrees. Give it as much sun as possible.

Keep the soil evenly moist (damp like a wrung out sponge) during the summer when it is actively growing. The soil should not be saturated/sopping wet and it should never dry out completely or so that the plant wilts.

You should be able to water it satisfactorily using a watering can (pour slowly so it soaks into the soil) rather than putting it in the shower. There is no set schedule. How often you need to water will depend on the weather, the potting soil, and the size of the plant in relation to the container. Use your finger to dig down into the soil to see if you need to water. After watering, empty any excess from the saucer under the pot. Do not leave it sitting in water.

This plant also does well with high fertility during the growing season. Fertilize with a water soluble fertilizer such as 10-10-10 plus minors or with a slow release granular fertilizer. Use the stronger rate per the label directions.

Enjoy your tropical hibiscus this summer!