The Q&A Archives: when to cut iris'

Question: 2 years ago I planted bulbs for purple Sensation Dutch Iris'. Each year wonderful greenery pops up, but so far I have produced 2 flowers. I have not been cutting the green leaves back because they are so full and beautiful and create such a nice border that lasts all year. Is it better to cut them back to produce more possible blooms next year? And how often should I split the bulbs?

Answer: Carla,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

You don't need to cut back the foliage. Some bulbs repeat bloom well in some area and some do not. I would not think that dividing is needed at this time. In fact some bulbs bloom best when they are a bit more crowded. You might try moving them to another area with more sun if they are not getting a lot now.