The Q&A Archives: Oleanders & Hibiscus lack of blooms

Question: I have 12 oleanders (3 years old)and 10 new Hibiscus' but have very few blooms I used 12-50-12 and water as needed. Sometime a few leaves turn yellow and fall off but I figure their old and will be replaced. Could Ph be the problem and what does each require? Thanks

Answer: Fred,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

I don't think pH is the problem. Yellowing foliage is often due to periods of soggy wet or dry soil conditions. Try feeding the plants again with a soluble plant food like Miracle Gro and they should respond with new green growth. Try to maintain moderate soil moisture and make sure the plants are getting a lot of sun. They need full sun or close to it to bloom well.