The Q&A Archives: Evergreen Hedge Among Pines

Question: I need to plant a hedge between our yard & our neighbors. We need the hedge to grow quickly & reach a height of 15-20 ft. The property line is approximately 140 ft. This hedge will be planted in among pine trees so the hedge will need to be able to takepartial - full shade.

Answer: I don't know how successful a shrub will be interplanted with pines. Pines make it hard for other plants to grow around them; they drink most of the moisture and create a very acidic soil environment. It's best if you can space the shrubs 6-8' away from them, unless you fill in the space with more pines, such as Austrian Pine (Pinus nigra), which grows 30-50' tall.<br><br>As another option, you can transition from pines to a different kind of evergreen. A tall variety of Chinese Holly (Ilex cornuta) or Spiny Greek Juniper (Juniperus excelsa), which can both reach a height of 15', which require full sun to slight shade, may be your best bet; they are drought tolerant and require acidic soil. You can also consult with a local nursery orlandscaper, since they have knowledge of what does well locally. You'll want to maximize your investment, since it's going to cost a lot to plant a 140' hedge. Hope this helps!