The Q&A Archives: animals

Question: I live in asubdivision where my yard backs up to the woods, no fence, the deer and i think rabbits have eaten my hostas all the way to the dirt and also my impatiens, any suggestions, keep in mind I do have a poodle who is always out with us, HELP

Answer: Unfortunately, wild animals can be a problem in the garden. Hostas are a deer favorite, but they will eat many different plants if they are accustomed to browsing in your yard. In my experience the best long term defense against deer is a tall fence, and a wire mesh fence several feet high for rabbits or woodchucks. Some gardeners report success using the spray on or granular repellents labeled for the specific animal causing the problem. The following web site offers information about the specific types of fence for different kinds of animals.

Good luck with your garden this summer!