The Q&A Archives: Purple looking weedy stuff

Question: I have been fighting this stuff in my yard for along time now. It is a deep purple color and it looks like clover. What will get rid of it. I have tried all sorts of weed and feed with no such luck. Please help !!

Answer: Lisa,

I apologize for the delayed reply. Spring has brought on a lot of questions and we're working fast to catch up!

Your description of the weed seems to describe a type of medic somewhat but not entirely. In order to prescribe the most effective control option and timing which is important, we need to have an accurate identification. I suggest you contact your County Extension Office there in Autauga County and see about bringing in a sample for identification. Once the weed is identified either they or we can provide some control recommendations. The Extension Office's contact info is:

2226 Hwy 14 W, Suite E
Autaugaville, AL36003
Phone: (334) 361-7273

Thanks and please stop in with you gardening question any time we can help.