The Q&A Archives: July Vegetables for Northern Virginia

Question: I am moving about 40 miles south of Washington DC in northern Virginia. Are ther any vegetables I could start in Virginia in July, or must I wait until 1999?

Answer: There's a raft of edibles that will produce for you if planted in July: bush beans, lettuce, carrots, beets, broccoli - even corn! Fortunately for those of us with a short growing season, plant breeders have developed varieties of vegetables that mature quickly.<br><br>Warm-season crops (beans, corn, cukes, squashes, potatoes) will be happy to sprout, so long as soil is kept moist. Those that prefer cooler soil (cabbage family crops, beets, lettuce, spinach, radishes) will germinate better if you place moist burlap or cardboard over the planted row, and mulch soil with straw to keep it cool. Southern Exposure Seed Exchange (PO Box 170, Earlysville, VA 22936; ph# 804/973-4703) is a great resource for you - the varieties offered are ideal for your climate, and they have a schedule of recommended planting dates (by month and week) in the catalog. Hope this helps!