The Q&A Archives: wood retaining wall

Question: I want to put in a short wall around my garden. I want to use wood like crossties but with rounder sides. I see this all over but I'm not sure what it's called.

Is this easy to do myself? Can you recommend a website that will show me how.

Also is the building material very expensive?

Thanks, Erin

Answer: You are probably thinking of landscape timbers, often made of treated wood. These should be widely available at lumber yards and home & garden centers. They are usually connected using long galvanized nails or spikes; for short walls they are simply laid end to end and held in place with spikes. Take a close look at some of the examples in your neighborhood and you will see how to do it. Here are illustrated instructions, including how to make it level and straight. You may need to cut and paste the complete url into your browser to make it work correctly.

Good luck with your project!

« Click to go to the homepage

» Ask a question of your own

Q&A Library Searching Tips

  • When singular and plural spellings differ, as in peony and peonies, try both.
  • Search terms are not case sensitive.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Shamrock Zinfandel"