The Q&A Archives: "Drought Season

Question: Due to the dry season should I water my vegetable garden every day? Can you tell me for how long during the day? Right now I water the garden for at least 4 hours a day? Is that too much?

Answer: Tavia,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

It is best to base watering on the soil moisture not the amount of time as many variables including sun, temperature, humidity, wind speed and soil texture all affect how fast the soil dries out and how much water it can hold. I suggest digging down a few inches to feel the soil and if it is not moist then water applying about 1 inch. Use a coffee can or other straight sided container to determine how long that will take.

Today's site banner is by Lestv and is called "Butterfly on Spider Lily"