The Q&A Archives: Hydrangeas and general

Question: Hello, I have just bought a home and I am a beginner at gardening. Hydrangea question: How fast do they grow? When do they start blooming if they are smaller plants, and how should I find out if my soil here is acidic or alkaline? Thank You Trinity

Answer: Hydrangeas grow best in morning sun and afternoon shade. They will begin to bloom when they are 2-3 years old. Hydrangeas bloom on new wood which is produced on old wood so each winter or early spring you'll want to prune your hydrangea back, leaving 12-18" of old wood on the plant. In the spring new shoots will develop on this old wood and each new shoot should produce a flower. In your gardening region the soil is generally acidic so your hydrangea will produce blue flowers.

Hope this answers all your questions!