The Q&A Archives: fertilizing new lawns

Question: Hi i just seeded my new lawn a week ago and have a few questions. I used a starter fertilizer 12-12-12 and want to know when and what other fertilizers/weed killers to use. I live in northeast ohio and have heard alot about crab grass being a problem here and have been told to be proactive at beeting it.
Thank you for your help

Answer: It is best to run some basic soil tests to check fertility and pH, then fertilize and lime per the test results. (You will not need to fertilize again for at least seveal months.)Your local county extension should be able to help you with the testing and interpreting the results for growing lawn grass. You will also find detailed information at their web site at

Plan on using the crabgrass preventer next spring, it is put down in very early spring about when the forsythia blooms to prevent crabgrass seed from germinating. Crabgrass is an annual weed so any that gets started this year will die off over the winter. Prevent it next year by using the pre-emergent such as corn gluten.

Good luck with your lawn!