The Q&A Archives: planting flowers in pots

Question: I love planting in pots , but I'm not sure if I'm selecting the right flowers and if they are planted correctly, because some make it and some flowers don't, what am I doing wrong?

Answer: Most plants will adapt to growing in containers so I think you may be choosing the wrong plants for the amount of sunshine, using the wrong potting soil, or you need to change your watering practices. Here are some tips:
First, choose containers with adequate drainage holes and fill with fresh potting soil rather than garden soil. Plant your favorite plants in the pots and then water them well to settle the soil. Place the pots either in full sun or in shade, depending upon the preferences of the plants you have chosen (check the plant tags). Now comes the hard part. Plants in containers need water more frequently than the same plants planted in the ground. Because their roots are confined, they are more susceptible to fertilizer burn. Check your pots every day. If the top inch of soil is dry to the touch, or if the pot feels light when you pick it up, it needs water. Apply water slowly so it has a chance to soak in. Allow excess to drain freely from the drainage holes. Sometimes containerized plants develop air pockets in and around the roots. No matter how much water you apply, it just drains out without saturating the soil. To combat this, once every week or 10 days, immerse the pot in a larger container of water and allow to sit until no more air bubbles rise to the surface. Then take the pot out and allow it to drain. This will eliminate air pockets and thoroughly wet the soil. You can fertilize every 2-3 weeks during the growing season by using a half-strength dilution of liquid fertilizer (Shultz's, Peter's or Miracle-Gro). This will provide a constant source of nutrients without the risk of overfeeding.

Hope this answers all your questions!