The Q&A Archives: Butterfly Bush

Question: How do you know if your Butterfly Bush is dead? Mine is not blooming yet, no leaves or nothing. The one I planted 2 years ago is all green & looks nice & healthy. The one that was here when my husband & I moved in, bloomed really nice the last three years & now nothing. Do you know what I can do with it or should I remove it & plant another one in it's spot? Thank-You & Have a great day. Sincerely,

Answer: It seems odd that an established butterfly bush would just suddenly quit. I wonder if the soil remained too wet over the winter months? In any case, I'd prune it back to within a few inches of the soil. This should shock it into growing new stems and foliage. If that doesn't do the trick in about 3 weeks, dig it up and replace it. Prior to replacing, amend the soil with some organic matter to facilitate good drainage.

Best wishes with your butterfly bush!