The Q&A Archives: Weed Vine

Question: I have some sort of vine growing all over the back of the yard where I am trying to plant a veggie garden. I go out every day and have to pull up more of the vine so it doesn't strangle the plants. Is there a way I can get rid of this without hurting the garden? I have dug up soo many roots but it keeps growing. Thank you

Answer: You may be able to control it over time by repeated cutting and digging out the roots to eventually exhaust the roots. Painting the cut end with an herbicide containing glyposate may also help. You can try smothering it as well, by covering the bare ground with several layers of damp newspaper topped by organic mulch to exclude light. You might also want to check with your local Penn State extension to get a specific identification of the vine and then based on knowing that, they may have additional control suggestions.