The Q&A Archives: The little shrubs look dead

Question: I just did a mass planting of about 30 'Arborvitea' (sorry if I have spelled it incorrectly) some of them look like they are already dead but I was told that they will come back next year. I was also told that they need to be watered everyday for about two weeks. Is this so? Thanks ~C.

Answer: Your new shrubs need soil that is evenly moist like a wrung out sponge, not sopping wet/saturated and not dried out. Watering every day would be too much. To know if you need to water, dig into the soil with your finger. If it is still damp, do not water yet. When you do water, apply it slowly and thoroughly so it soaks down to the deepest roots. Some arborvitae discolor to a bronze tone during the winter but turn green again by summer, perhaps this is what was meant by coming back? If you are concerned about your shrubs you may want to consult with your retailer (if they are under warranty) and/or with your local Purdue county extension.