The Q&A Archives: Angel Trumpets how to get flowers

Question: I have several angel trumpet plants on my deck. What fertilizer can I use in their pots to get them to flower?

Answer: These plants need warm weather (80 degrees and up), full sun and high humidity to do their best along with evenly moist soil (during the growing season) and a generous fertilization program. The American Datura and Brugmansia Society recommends fertilizer with 12-20% nitrogen, 3-6% phosphorous and 8-12% potassium. These are the three numbers listed on the label of any fertilizer sold, and they are listed in the same order of nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium or N, P, K. I would suggest using either a slow release granular or a water soluble form that also includes minors, and apply it at the stronger rate listed on the label.