The Q&A Archives: amarillas

Question: I had 2 large containers filled with amarilla bulbs, transplanted them in the ground and have had for 2 years. They have never bloomed. Tried to separate the bulbs and even them didn't bloom. Why don't they bloom? Pleny of leaves and bulbs bulging out of the groud. Thanks, Grayce

Answer: Grayce,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Bulbs are like that. Sometimes they will naturalize and bloom and with others they are more "one shot wonders" that just don't like something in your soil or climate and as such don't repeat well. I suggest moving them to another location in the yard. Perhaps a little more sun but not full sun. Perhaps morning sun versus afternoon. Anyway, I have seen a change of location make the difference.