The Q&A Archives: Insects on sago palm

Question: I have these small white bugs (at first glance looks like sand on the palm) on my sago palm that I just can't seem to get rid of. I have tried an insecticide oil and washing the palm down with soap and white, to no avail. Any suggestions?

Answer: Katrina,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

The bugs might be scale and the oil should have helped if you had good coverage of the scale. I suggest that you take a sample of the plant leaf (frond) with the insects on it to your County Extension Office to let them identify them and prescribe the best management options. Their contact information is:

732 N 9 Street
DeFuniak Springs, FL 32433-3804
Phone: (850) 892-8172