The Q&A Archives: Peonies

Question: I have planted some peonies this year and it does not seem like they are progressing very well. The leaves seem curled a little. They are in the same flower box as Hostas and the Hosta are doing fine.

Answer: Peonies can react to having their roots disturbed and I suspect that's what the problem is. They will overcome this as they adjust to their new homes. In general, peonies should be planted so the eyes of the tuber are 2-3 inches below the surface of the soil - planted too deeply and they may not flower. The prefer full sunshine for best growth and flowering and need to be watered deeply once or twice a week. If you planted yours with hostas, which are mostly shade-loving, I wonder if your peony is getting enough sunshine? If not, now's the time to move them. If they are getting all day sunshine, just allow them to become established and they should perform well for you.

Best wishes with your garden!