The Q&A Archives: Tree Roots

Question: I have a tree in my front yard and it is surrounded by flowers and smaller plants which are enclosed by bricks. these things keep springing up around the tree and the leaves resemble the tree leaves. I'm thinking its the tree roots. they are impossible to pull up and as soon as i cut them they come back. is there anything i can use to get rid of them with out killing the tree and the surrounding plants?

Answer: Unfortunately, some trees routinely send up suckers and there's really nothing you can do except cut them off as they appear. If you try to use herbicides, or if you attempt to cut off the offending roots, you'll compromise the health of the tree (and surrounding vegetation in the case of herbicides). Wish I had better news for you!