The Q&A Archives: Dwarf Fig Tree Growth & Fruit Production

Question: I have a 4-year old dwarf-sized fig tree, and I would like to know since I planted it in a container four years ago, how much growth should there be and how much fruit production should there be, and should I plant another tree for better fruit production?

Presently, I am using plant food every two weeks, is there anything else that I can do to aid my tree in growth and fruit production? Thank You

Answer: It's difficult to answer your question about growth rate and production without knowing which cultivar you are growing. In general, figs are well adapted in most of Texas, but freeze damage often kills trees back partially. Because fruit are borne on new growth as well as 1-year-old wood, freeze-damaged trees usually are able to bear at least a partial crop.

To prevent the entry of insects and premature spoilage of the fruit, grow only closed-eye fig varieties.

Figs may be trained as trees or bushes. In colder portions of Texas where freeze injury is common, bush-training works best. Pruning is done basically to shape the plant, thin crowded branches and remove freeze-damaged wood.

It won't make much difference to your fig tree whether it is in a pot or in the ground - the most important thing is that it gets adequate sunshine to promote lots of growth. The more growth it puts on, the more fruit it will be able to produce.

Hope this information answers all your questions!