The Q&A Archives: Plants To Grow Inside Rock Ledge

Question: I have a rock ledge, against the back wall of my house that gets mostly afternoon sun (I made the ledge by taking rectangular granite slabs and placing them 15 ft across and three slabs high). I would like to put plants in the crevices, preferably greenfoliage and small flowers. What would you recommend?

Answer: As luck would have it, I did a similar project for a family member a few seasons back. I used succulents and they turned out great. More specifically, I bought a "succulents mix" from a local nursery that contained plants such as Hens & Chicks (Sempervivum tectorum), a variety of sedums, etc. I packed a little soil mixed with a bit of sand (if memory serves me, I used 60% potting soil, 40% sterile sand) into the crevices, and stuck the plants into the crevices gently (I used chopsticks to tuckthem in). Some of the bloomed some of them didn't, but, if I do say so myself it looked great! You should be able to obtain these type of succulents from any garden center, nursery, or greenhouse. I have even seen many varieties at the grocery store.