The Q&A Archives: Avocado drop

Question: I started an avocado tree from seed about 6 yrs ago, and it is now over 20 ft tall. Last year I got 13 avocados on it, this year it is loaded with fruit, but they keep falling off by the dozens every day. Is there something I can do to stop the fruit drop?

Answer: Fruit drop can be caused by water stress, by poor pollination (could be weather related or lack of insect activity when flowers are open), or by feeding by insects called thrips. Inspect the fallen fruit; Thrips can cause scarring on young fruit that starts near the stem end and spreads over entire surface. Thrips feeding on fruit stems causes fruit drop. This pest will also feed on leaves, but defoliation is not primary problem. Darkened, leathery patches on upper leaf surface and random feeding lines on lower leaf surface. Unlike mites, thrips leave small black fecal pellets.

Hope this information is helpful.