The Q&A Archives: moving plants

Question: I am a new homeowner and plant owner and didn't see anything in the archives about just moving one plant from one area of garden to another. I have 3 Mexican heathers that have died and would like to move 3 other Mexican heathers in their place (they are about one year old). For a novice gardener, how and when do I do this? One of the heathers has an ant hill under it (not sure if they are red ants or not)- any other additional instructions for this one?

In addition, I have started fertilizing the plants myself this Spring and stopped the professional fertilization/spraying for insects . How do I tell if there are any disease or bugs that I need to take care of ? For example, the Hawthorne has yellow spotted leaves (is that a problem?).

Answer: Kathleen,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Your County Extension Office is available to look at samples you bring in to diagnose and identify potential problems. Theirs is a free service in most areas.

To move that Mexican heather push a shovel into the soil around it about 10" from the plant on all sides then slide the shovel under it and lift one side to help you slide a plastic sheet or small tarp under it. Slide the plant onto the tarp. This makes an easy way for 2 people to carry the plant without disturbing the roots too much. Then reset it at the same depth and water it in well as you refill the planting hole. Keep it moist but not soggy. It may also help to place something over the plant to provide partial shade for a week or two.