The Q&A Archives: Container Gardening

Question: Can you recommend some annuals or perennials I can plant in containers for spring and summer on my front porch which is on the west side of our house? I've tried petunias, salvia, marigolds, and nothing works. Our porch gets the hot afternoon and evening sun. I'm desperate!

Answer: Don't give up - there are some real sun lovers in the annual and perennial families. Zinnias, Verbena, Marigolds, Mexican sunflowers, Sedum, Poppies, Liatris, Gallardia, Corepopsis and Centranthus are a few that would flourish in pots on your sunny porch. Be sure to keep all the pots well watered; check them daily and don't let them completely dry out. You might also try Ice Plant, Hawkweed, and Carnations, which thrive in hot conditions.<br><br>Good luck!