The Q&A Archives: crookneck squash

Question: I have two plants of crookneck squash planted in large half-barrel containers.They are located on the eastern side of the house where they get plenty of morning sun. The plants grew well and appeared healthy. Now that they are starting to bear fruit, I noticed the leaves are starting to show small gray splotches. the squash are growing to about 2-3 inches in length then falling off the vine.the vines still appear healthy. do they need more sun or could it be something else?

Answer: Squash needs all day sunshine or they will develop fungal diseases and may fail to bear. Although the container is large, if you can move it to a sunnier spot, your squash plants will improve. If you can't move it, just hope for the best with this years' crop and plan on planting in a sunnier spot next year.

Best wishes with your crookneck squash!