The Q&A Archives: Japanese Maple

Question: I am trying to find out if there is a Japanese Maple that is a shrub. I already have the Bloodgood Japanese Maple tree and I am looking for shrubbery to match the tree.

Answer: There are several dwarf Japanese maples: Acer circinatum 'Little Gem' Vine Maple grows 3-4'; Acer palmatum 'Baby Lace' Perhaps the finest foliage, red, weeping dissectum grows 2-3'; Acer palmatum 'Baldsmith' Weeping red filigree maple grows 3-4'; Acer palmatum 'Beni fusigi' Unusual, crinkled red leaves hold color well through the summer, reaches 6'; Acer palmatum 'Beni hime' is a rare, dwarf Japanese maple, leaves bright red in spring, keep reddish margins into summer, grows about 3'; Acer palmatum 'Beni Komachi' Beautiful Little Girl foliage emerges bright crimsion, darkens to deep red and turns scarlet in fall, grows 5-7' but can be kept smaller with annual pruning; Acer palmatum 'Burgundy Lace' Horizontal shrub with red dissected leaves, reaches 4-5'.

Hope one of these appeals to you!