The Q&A Archives: Leyland cypress turning brown

Question: I just planted leyland Cypress trees and some are turning brown. I water them once a day. Can you give me some advice in caring for newly planted Leyland Cypress trees in clay and sandy soils. I don't want to over water because of the poor soil. I don't know what to do.

Answer: Italian cypresses are very adaptable and will grow in clay, sand or loam soils, as long as it drains well. Once established they get along with about one-inch of water per week during the growing season. Italian cypress needs exposure to full sunshine for healthiest growth. If you're watering once a day, you're keeping the soil too wet, which is eliminating oxygen. Without oxygen, the roots will die. Water deeply once each week during the growing season to help your plants establish a deep root system.

Best wishes with your Leyland Cypresses!