The Q&A Archives: Killing other grasses in a Bermuda lawn

Question: Hi,
What product can I use to kill other grasses that have infiltrated my bermuda grass lawn without damaging it. The main offender seems to be fescue, but there is also some crabgrass.

Answer: Mike,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

There is not a way to kill a grass out of a grass lawn. You can let it go dry in summer which would favor the bermuda over the fescue. Crabgrass can be prevented with preemergence herbicides applied in early spring before the weed germinates. Your County Extension Office can provide product suggestions and the best timing for your area.