The Q&A Archives: Watering time for bermuda lawn

Question: How long should my sprinkler system run per watering for a bermuda lawn?

Answer: David,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

While many homeowners like to water 2 or 3 times a week, your turf will benefit from a good soaking applied less often. Apply 1/2 to 1 inch of water once a week or less. A coffee can makes a good rain gauge to test out how long it will need to be run to apply an inch. Frequent wetting promotes disease problems and a shallow rooted turf. Let the soil dry out a bit between waterings and the grass will develop a deep root system and do much better.