The Q&A Archives: Garden lime

Question: Why is the garden lime that I purchased from the Home Depot gray instead of white? It looks like a bag full of cement. Have never in my life seen lime that was gray in color.

Answer: There are two types of lime used in gardens. Dolomtic lime has magnesium which will change the color. Calcitic limestone consists largely of calcium carbonate, and dolomitic limestone is a mixture of both calcium and magnesium carbonates. Dolomitic limestone should be used on soils with a magnesium soil test of 100 or less, as it is an excellent and inexpensive source of magnesium for acid soils. On soils with magnesium tests greater than 100, calcitic or dolomitic limestone may be used. Check the package label for the ingredients. I think you'll find your answer there.