The Q&A Archives: Purple Plum Trees

Question: Something is eating my purple plum trees a trail is going up the trunk. What could it be and how do I get rid of it?

Answer: Without more detail on what you mean by a trail, it's impossible to say. Are there chewing marks, stripped bark, tiny holes? How far up does it reach? Is the foliage or bark affected, or both? Have you closely examined for signs of insects, entry holes, frass (droppings)? I suggest you contact your County Cooperative Extension Master Gardeners with as much detail as you can provide. If you have samples of the damage, or any insects you might find, that would be extremely helpful. They are at 4341 E. Broadway Road, Phoenix, AZ 85040, 602-470-8086, ext. 301. A satellite office in the East Valley is at:
In the Red Mountain Multigenerational Center
7550 East Adobe
Mesa, AZ 8585207
(480) 985-0338
9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Monday and Thursday

Good luck!