The Q&A Archives: how to get my clematis to bloom?

Question: I have a purple clemetis that had two blooms and now the leaves are dying and the vine has died about half way even though I have kept it watered and fertilized. What and how much fertilizer do they need and how much water? thanks vbrown It did the same thing last year.

Answer: Vivian,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Hold off on the fertilizer for a season. Try to maintain even moisture but don't keep the soil soggy wet or problems will occur that can kill the plant. Clematis does best when the roots are shaded by leaf cover or mulches on the soil surface.