The Q&A Archives: Hide fence and year-round color

Question: Across my backyard is a wooden privacy fence, please tell me what could be planted to hide this fence. Also, please advise of what I could plant in front of it to give me year-round color. My backyard is in full sun, and since I am disabled it must be low mainenance also. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Answer: Sheri,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Some good options to hide the fence are 'Bright N Tight' Cherry Laurel, 'Little Gem' Magnolia and Southern Wax Myrtle. For color in front you might try dwarf crape myrtles or 'Knock Out' Roses (make a good hedge and can be left unpruned or sheared periodically if you wish).