The Q&A Archives: Jacaranda Tree

Question: I have a Jacaranda Tree in my front year approx 3yrs old. This last winter we had several freezes. I thought the tree was dead but I see several small sprouts at the bottom of the tree. My question is, will the tree come back? Can I give it anything to help it come back?

Answer: I had a similar experience with my one year old Jacaranda tree. Sadly, the branches and the trunk died but I am seeing sprouts from the roots so I know the roots survived. Jacarandas are usually trained into single trunked trees but when they freeze down to ground level and resprout, they normally become multi-trunked trees or multi-trunked shrubs. I suspect that this is what will happen with your Jacaranda, although you may want to leave the trunk and branches alone the rest of the summer. They may surprise you and sprout later this year. My neighbor's tree sprouted from seemly dead branches and hers still looks like a tree rather than a shrub. So for right now, no action is the best action. Hold good thoughts and maybe your Jacaranda will recover. If not, cut it off just a few inches above soil level and allow the new sprouts to develop. Later you can decide whether to allow them all to live or whether to prune out all but the tallest, strongest one to become the trunk of your new tree.

Best wishes with your jacaranda!