The Q&A Archives: are slugs attracted to Cat Litter

Question: Hi, while having a bathroom remodel I took the cat litter box out of my bathroom and put it in my back yard. Late that evening i remembered it and went to bring it in and found slugs all along the inside walls and in the litter(the ones in the litter looked like they had drowned in kitty litter). Do you know if it was the litter box, the cat waste or the litter that attracted the slugs? (i use Swheat Scoop kitty litter) I tried it again with the same results and am going to try it in smaller containers throughout my garden. Any info on this will be appreciated.

Answer: That is really interesting, I don't think I have heard of this phenomenon before. I suppose the kitty litter would dehydrate the slugs. The only attractant I know of for slugs is stale beer. But, I have seen slugs emerge in the early evening to take advantage of the dew that collects on smooth sides of plastic flower pots and similar containers, so perhaps they found the sides of the litter pan similarly attractive?