The Q&A Archives: Gardenias

Question: Ihave 2 gardenia bushes that I've had for 10 years. They are about 5 feet tall and bloom profusely every year. This year parts of one of them are brown...they leaves have turned tan and spotted...looking like a portion of it is dead. The rest of the tree is green but looks a little sickly. I added ironite at the base when the leaves started turning yellow at first. Help!

Answer: Jan,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

It may be that your gardenias are suffering from drought, soggy wet soils, or a root rot. Try to keep the soil moderately moist but not too wet. Prune out any dead areas and if the dieback continues consider trying a fungicide drench for root rots.