The Q&A Archives: elephant ear plant

Question: I live in E'ville, IN and I planted my 1st. elephant ear and the 1st. leave that formed beautifully was taken off and found a few feet away from the plant, the 2nd leave that came out has been chewed up bad but is still on the plant. Would you have any idea wants doing this? I have other plants in the yard and they seem to be fine. Thanks, Vicky

Answer: Sounds like a critter is infatuated with your Elephant's Ear plant! Do you have Mountain Beaver in your neighborhood? I have had a similar experience in the past and it turned out that a Mountain Beaver was chewing the leaves off and dragging them to his/her den. Sometimes they drop them along the way and never quite realize it. The next morning we found a trail of leaves leading up to his/her den. Very odd!

You might try just throwing some bird netting over the plant for a few weeks. This should discourage whatever is gnawing on your plant. Hope so!

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"