The Q&A Archives: Any flowers dogs won't eat?

Question: I planted a pot full of marigolds and was shocked that my dog pulled out and ate all of them. I sprayed on bitter apple, but it's washed off by the sprinklers. Any suggestions to what flowers a dog wouldn't eat? Would it match flowers that are deer or rabbit resistant that I can use as a guide? Thanks.

Answer: I am not aware of such a list indicating plants not preferred by dogs. (In my experience, most dogs are not avid plant eaters once they progress beyond the puppy stage where they will try just about anything.) You might want to check the ASPCA listings or consult with your veterinarian. Here is the ASPCA list of nontoxic plants -- please read their disclaimers.

There are some spray on and granular animal repellents on the market, look for one labeled specifically for dogs. However, if your dog did not mind the Bitter Apple then I am not sure the other repellents would serve as much of a deterrent. I'm sorry I can't be more encouraging.