The Q&A Archives: roses

Question: I recently started gardening, I have planted roses, but they are growing very slow is there something I am doing wrong or is there something else I need to do? I fertilize every 2 weeks with plant food. Also can you give me advise on what plants I can combine with my roses?

Answer: Juanita,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Sometimes plants don't grow fast initially as they are establishing roots. I suspect with some fertilizing and a little more time they'll take off. Try using Miracle Gro at the label rate initially. Repeat it weekly for a few weeks. Make sure the soil is kept moist but not soggy. Also the plants need to be in full sun or close to it to grow and bloom well. Plants that go well with pink or red roses include Mystic Spires salvia, and Plumbago. For yellow or orange roses try Lantana or Daylilies.