The Q&A Archives: pets and plants

Question: I just bought a schefflera arboricola. Is it dangerous for pets? I have a lhasa apso and he keeps trying to eat the leaves.

Answer: According to the ASPCA animal poison control center Schefflera arboricola is a poisonous plant. These plants contain fine, needle-like calcium oxylate crystals within the plant cells, and if ingested, can cause significant mechanical irritation and swelling of the oral tissues and other parts of the GI tract. Based on this, it is advisable to keep Schefflera spp. out of the reach of pets.

« Click to go to the homepage

» Ask a question of your own

Q&A Library Searching Tips

  • When singular and plural spellings differ, as in peony and peonies, try both.
  • Search terms are not case sensitive.

Today's site banner is by cocoajuno and is called "Here's looking at you."