The Q&A Archives: litter

Question: we have a small acreage and two indoor cats, a lot of kitty litter. Can I spread this on the garden the bag says it is mainly clay. Or what else can I do with it we have no garbage pickup service out here. Merv Hanson

Answer: Used kitty litter contains urea and solids. If you remove the solids and spread the litter thinly on unused portions of your acreage, it should break down without problem. I would avoid using it in close proximity to plants; the salts in the urine can have compromising effects on plant growth. The kitty litter will break down quickly if you bury it under a few inches of soil. I'd scrape a trench in the yard and sprinkle the used litter in the trench - not too thick, just a couple of inches - and then kick the soil over the top.

Best wishes with your garden!