The Q&A Archives: shrubs-trees

Question: I would like to plant a fast growing sturdy shrub along a fenced area. Also trees to fill in for privacy in a large front yard. I live in northern florida.
Thanks so much! Bonnie

Answer: Oleander and Bay cedar (Suriana maritima) are among your better choices for that location and use. Natal plum (Carissa grandiflora is another good choice but only would get to be about 6-8 feet tall. Use the soil from the site with little amending. A bit of compost is fine but not likely to last long in your hot climate. Fertilize with light regular doses (1 cup per 50 square feet of soil surface) of turf fertilizer throughout the year to keep the plants vigorous when young so they grow quickly and form a good screening hedge as soon as possible. Thanks for the question. Please stop in again soon!