The Q&A Archives: Cape Honeysuckle

Question: I purchased 2 of these bushes at your Plymouth, MN store-now I read the instructions-hardy zone 9-11. I'm sure they won't survive here in MN-I can't understand why they would be for sale here in MN-AM i missing something?

Answer: Cape Honeysuckle (Tecoma capensis) is a native of South Africa and can withstand temperatures as low as about 20F, but will not be reliably hardy in your Minnesota climate. Plants like these are often sold out of their hardiness ranges but they are generally labeled as "seasonal" color spots. In Minnesota, you can grow your plants outdoors during the spring and summer months and take them indoors for the winter, or you can consider them seasonal and discard them at the end of the summer season.

Best wishes with your garden!