The Q&A Archives: Rooting Rose Cuttings

Question: I heard from a friend that you could root rose cuttings using asprin, but I'm not sure of the process. She said her mother had once succesfully rooted a rose from a florist arrangement. How do you go about doing it? What steps do I need to take and has it ever been succesful?

Answer: Aspirin doesn't seem to have any effect on rooting cuttings, so it was probably just a matter of the rose rooting because all of the other factors were just right. According to Iowa State University, you can prolong the bloom of cut roses by putting 1 teaspoon of chlorine bleach and 1 tablespoon of sugar in a gallon of water and using that water in the flower vase. Alternately, you could use 1 cup of a clear lemon-lime soft drink in 1/2 gallon of water to achieve the same results. You wouldn't really want to root just the stem cutting from a rose - patented roses are grafted onto hardy rootstocks; something your rooted rose wouldn't have. As a result, it wouldn't grow as well in your garden, and may eventually die from exposure to cold weather.