The Q&A Archives: Celosia Plumosa leaves turning yellow

Question: I bought Celosia Plumosa seedlings from the nursery, and when I planted them into my garden, within a week all the leaves began turning yellow, with the bottom- most leaves becoming brown. There is no evidence of grubs or any other critter, and I have been watering them once a day. Could it be the soil? Moreover, how often and how much should I be watering it?

Answer: Celosia needs a well drained soil. I suspect you are overwatering. To see if you need to water, dig into the soil with your finger. If it is still damp, do not water yet. When you do water, apply is slowly and thoroughly so it soaks down deep. Let the soil dry again before you water the next time. Also avoid wetting the foliage when you water. Good luck with your celosias!