The Q&A Archives: small tree for zone 5

Question: Can you recommend any dwarf/small trees for a shade / partial shade front landscape.

Answer: To some extent this depends what size you really have in mind, because a small tree can be in the thirty foot range. (I suspect you are looking for something a bit smaller.) For trees you might consider the serviceberry or Amelanchier, the native dogwood or Cornus florida, one of the smaller deciduous magnolias, or a Chionanthus virginicus. For a large shrub, you might consider Cornus alba "Elegantissima" (also called C. alba "Argenteo-marginata"), Viburnum plicatum var. tomentosum "Mariesii" or "Shasta", Enkianthus, or even a Catawba rhododendron left to reach its natural size. I hope this gives you some ideas.