Answer: Spathiphyllum is the botanical name for your Peace Lily. You'll need to wait for your plant to mature for a year or two before you can propagate it. Propagation is done by division. Here's how to divide a Peace Lily :
1. Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum) is best divided in spring. Remove the soilball from the pot by inverting the plant and tapping the rim on the edge of firm surface.
2. Evidence that division is needed is indicated by a mat of roots around the root-ball. A mass of white roots indicates that the plant is healthy and growing strongly.
3. Using fingers, tease and pull apart the root-ball into several substantially sized pieces. It may be necessary to cut some roots, but never use a knife to slice through a plant.
4. Hold a young plant in the centre of a clean pot and trickle fresh potting compost around the roots. Firm the potting compost and ensure the plant is at the same depth as before.
5. Water the plants from above and place in gentle warmth. It may be necessary to shade plants from strong sunlight until roots are established and absorbing water. Do not water the plant until the compost has started to dry.
Best wishes with your peace lily!
Q&A Library Searching Tips