The Q&A Archives: Lawn Repair

Question: I sent an email regarding my damaged lawn. I went home yesterday and tried repairing it by digging up the old grass, reseeded, and applying top soil. In some areas I used Scotts Patch product. I watered the areas and now must wait to see the results. I have hope that everything will be okay. However, I just wanted to know if I did the right thing.
Thanks for your prompt response to the last email.

Answer: To patch a bare spot, you would loosen the soil down about six inches, work in several inches of compost, level, and reseed, then tamp the soil lightly to assure good soil to seed contact. Then, since we are into summer now, cover the surface with a very loose layer of straw to help shade the soil and keep it moister. Water as needed to keep the soil evenly moist until it germinates. Or -- use a patch product and follow all of the label directions. Good luck!

Today's site banner is by Lestv and is called "Butterfly on Spider Lily"